You can’t smell it, see it or taste it, but radon gas could be in your home and putting occupants at serious health risk.
Radon gas is a byproduct of naturally-occurring uranium as the element breaks down underground, then enters through cracks or leaks in a home or building foundation.
It is estimated that 40 percent of Pennsylvania homes have radon levels above the Environmental Protection Agency’s action guideline. Testing is essential to detect the gas but there are ways to mitigate the problem if it is detected.
Appearing on Smart Talk Wednesday to highlight the danger are Robert Lewis, Radon Program Manager with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, Kevin Stewart, American Lung Association Environmental Health and Mike Webster, M. Webster Construction, Inc.